Tuesday, May 20, 2008

lots of pictures of finished objects...

This is Erin's sweater under construction, with one sleeve done. It's my first attempt at a cable and it's just a simple twist. I am not sure I really like how the two colors are coming together. The pattern had a much more complicated cable, but since this is my first sweater not out of completely bulky yarn, and with shaping, I decided to forgo that element.
It took me a really long time to do the one sleeve, and since I don't love it, I am not putting the cable in the second sleeve. This sweater must be done. I really wanted her to be able to wear it for the kiddush we sponsored for her birthday. By not doing the second sleeve cable, that was a reality.

Here it is all completed. The edge was flat after blocking, but I forgot to take pictures then. I took them after she wore it, so the blocking is gone... now I will wash it and we'll see how it looks. I hope she will wear it more than once. I learned a lot making this. Including why you knit 2 rows of one skein then 2 rows from another skein when you are using hand dyed or kettle dyed yarn... you can totally see where the color shifts. Oh well. Lesson learned. Glad I learned it on a baby sweater! I love the way it came out overall. Now I need to learn how to cable for real so I can make the myriads of projects I see with cables... and I already have a teacher lined up to teach me! Orthofunky from ravelry lives nearby and she is going to teach me!

this was a little cap done with extra yarn... it was an exercise in using DPNs. I really enjoyed it, although I should have cast on a few more stitches as it just barely fit the baby it was made for. NEXT TIME! I am learning a lot about knitting!
Lastly, here we have the blanket I made for my cousin Lisa's son Noah. I had hoped to have it done before he was born, but didn't happen. I will be sending it off in the mail this week. It is made of 100% cotton as they live in Savannah and I wanted something not too hot. Also, it has a little tab that goes over the buckle of either a car seat or stroller so it won't fall on the ground. I hope they like it.

Now, back to finishing up a few other UFO's and trying not to start too many new things until I am caught up!


Rima said...


I like all your projects, but I totally love that baby sweater! Great pattern and color choice. So pretty.

Rima said...

Hey Rachel,
Thanks for the twine suggestion. I would totally buy it if I did not have to amass wholesale quantities at high prices. Well, at least now I know that there is such stuff outthere. Thanks much.

About figuring out the number of posts, if you look at your sidebar on your blog page, there will be an archive link. You can count how many posts you have had per month/per year. Hope that helps.

Laurie said...

Wow you have been busy. Your FO's turned out great. I especially like your sweater. The colors are gorgeous.

Thanks for the comment you left on my blog. It was so great hearing from you.

I loved you idea about have a WIP in the car. That is a great idea. My boys don't fall asleep in the car any more but there are plenty of times I have to sit around and wait. Hubby's errands or kids activities. I am going to have a WIP just for the car. Something small and portable.

As far as sock go I used larger needles and worsted weight yarn for my first 4 pairs. I also made ankle socks. That way they worked up fast and I felt like I got almost instant gratification. I found these two web sites: http://www.royea.net/sock.html and http://www.cometosilver.com/. They are both great resources. The 2nd one walks you through it step by step and is fully illustrated.

Currently I am ready the 2-At-A-Time Socks book by Melissa Morgan-Oakes. I am working my first pair using this method. I highly recommend the book. It is awesome. Plus, there is a Ravelry group and the author is always answer questions.

I was so great hearing from you. I save you blog to my home page (still learning the blogging thing). I really enjoy reading your blog.

Take care.