Sunday, October 21, 2007

covering my head...

I plan on fully adding to this at a later date, and I have much more to say on the subject, however... since Erin has chosen to sleep for at least the moment... I will be brief. I cover my hair. It is for religious reasons which I will get into more later, but really what I wanted to say here was it's difficult once you have a child. B.E. (before Erin) I could put whatever I wanted to on my head and it didn't matter. There was no one pulling at my hair, no one pulling at my hat, no one trying to stuff my face/hair/head into their mouth and so it just didn't matter. I matched my head covering to my outfit (although that is clearly not the case with the one picture on this blog so far, but seeing as our daughter had just been born and the head covering in question there was chosen knowing we were going to the hospital, with contractions 6 minutes apart, and that I needed comfortable and something that would stay on.. well, I think that can be forgiven - plus I had no idea what color the hospital gown would be...that and probably 90% of my hats are either black or gray...

Anyway, now I have a new reality. I wear what little hair that sticks out below my hats in a ponytail that gets constantly pulled, so I am actually starting to stick the hair all up into the hats... but some of my hats don't fit with a ponytail, some don't fit with the hair stuck up inside... some are, well, a little dressier than staying at home to do laundry in. SO, I have been wearing a lot of bandanas... and been thinking that once I get through my list of WIPs that I should make myself some hats. Someone's up.... this is getting posted now.

and now a little addition - the hardest thing is that when I was teaching and moving around a lot in the classroom I was always warm with the wool/heavier hats... I am thinking perhaps the new reality is to make myself some berets... I have one I made, I will photograph it and post it here soon. Perhaps little beanie types hats, both crochet and knit with different yarns running through - coordinating colors - maybe I should branch out from black and gray... stop laughing.. it's possible!

No comments: