Monday, January 21, 2008

weekly topic #3

What is the most 'random' memory you have from your childhood?

I have several random memories... One is of waking in the middle of the night and finding my grandmother in my parent's bed instead of my mother. I think this must have been when my younger brother was born. I was not quite 3.

Second memory is of "teaching" my younger brother and younger cousin in "school" in our basement. I guess I have always wanted to teach as I was probably 7 or 8 (my brother and older of the cousins would have been 4 or 5).

Third memory is in the basement of the house that we moved into when I was 2 and 9 months. There was a spider in a toy box and the door from the basement to the outside was open and the dog from next door had come in and was barking as I was screaming about the spider.

Memories are strange birds. Some that we have are truly our own, others are so shaded by what we have been told about an event that perhaps what we think we remember never really happened, but only occurred in oral history. Basically a lot of what my film "The Image of Eileen" is all about. Speaking of that film, I think I need to figure out how to upload it to YouTube or something like that. Ah... technology!

No comments: